Friday, June 14, 2013

Man of Steel!!

You know it's summer and you're a lazy bum when you wake up so late you can't decide whether to eat breakfast or lunch. I just ate so many bowls of cereal.

Last night, I went to see Man of Steel, and it's a good thing I don't do a vlog, because I would be talking so loudly; my ears have been sufficiently blasted. I can't tell if it's just the movie or if the dude controlling the volume at the theater was on drugs or what, because that movie was SO. LOUD... Are there still people who control volume at the theater? I should know these things.

Anyway, before the movie started, there was plenty of time to discuss it and dash all of my hopes and dreams. First of all, I just don't want to hear about Rotten Tomatoes ever again, because Man of Steel got a 59% rating (supposedly it was 55% last night) and even Now You See Me got a measly 48%! And America worries about grade inflation... The second thing was that my friend and I had noticed that the trailer had been very blue. When I say blue, I actually mean the color blue, not the mood. Movies sometimes have theme colors (The Matrix = green, Sweeney Todd = ketchup red), and it would just be a bummer if any movie had blue as a theme color when it's about aliens and superheroes and not very blue things.

The movie was not blue. Sure, there was plenty of it, but not enough to make it the theme color of the movie, so thank goodness. What it was, however, was action-packed. The rhythm of the movie as a whole was nicely done; the first half was a series of flashbacks and random acts of heroics which somehow made sense despite the crazy time jumps. If it hadn't made sense I would be very upset. There are basically five stages of Superman: infant, elementary schoolboy, adolescent, Henry Cavill without the beard, Henry Cavill with the beard.

To a certain extent, I have to agree with some of the critics. I feel terrible, I know, but that dialogue... I tried paying attention to the cinematography, but writing is my first love so it was hard to ignore the quality of writing in this script. There are just... so many lines that should never be used. It also would've been nice to see dialogue in parts where they just had shots of characters' faces. What were they thinking? I have no clue, because all I see are vaguely smiling faces. Or was that a wince? A smirk? I'm lost.

Here's one thing that I noticed A LOT of... Being a huge Joss Whedon fan, I couldn't help but notice all of the actors who had been in Whedon's shows. Amy Adams did show up in a Buffy episode as Tara's cousin, Harry Lennix was in Dollhouse, Tahmoh Penikett was also in Dollhouse, aaand awkward that's it. It probably felt like there were more because of the fact that it was fairly late at night and because Michael Kelly looks like Jeff Ricketts who played the second man with "hands of blue" in Firefly. You don't see the resemblance? I'm not crazy, I swear.

What I did notice right off the bat was how the flying scenes were shot. Joss Whedon did this whole spiel about how when he was making Firefly, he wanted the shots of Serenity to be slightly chaotic, with random zooms and pans that made the whole experience more chaotic. This is exactly what happens in Man of Steel. Every time something was flying, I wanted to lean over to a friend and say "OH MY GOD JOSS WHEDON DID YOU NOT SEE THAT" but of course no one would've heard me over the power of Hans Zimmer.

Speaking of music, one of the friends I sat next to is a HUGE fan of Hans Zimmer, and explained some pretty cool stuff about the technicalities in his music. I didn't understand 90% of it (no offense, it was very interesting anyway) other than "OH MY GOD THOSE TRI TONES" and the difference between Hans Zimmer and John Williams. If you don't know these two real-life superheroes, just know:

Hans Zimmer = Pirates of the Caribbean, The Lion King, Batman (the newer trilogy), Inception.

John Williams = Jaws, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Superman.

The main difference between them is that you probably have one of John Williams's theme songs stuck in your head right now, whereas when you think of the movies that Hans Zimmer has done, you think intense atmospheric music but wait what was that melody?... I personally like John Williams because I do like having that melody, but Hans Zimmer did a spectacular job with this movie. A spectacular job blowing my ears off, that is. With awesomeness.

Overall, I do recommend you see this movie.

Aaaand that's all I have to say about that because I'm about to go edit a music video that I shot for a friend today!! Hoorah!!! I'll have a link at the ready when it's all done and on YouTube, but for now if you want to check out the musician, April has a YouTube channel here.

P.S. Little did I expect I would actually get a comment on my last post! But I did, so I will be watching and reviewing Dead Poets Society soon. Keep those comments coming if you want more reviews or any other topics covered... Within a range of comfort. I will probably never talk about certain things. Let's keep this PG-13, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment