Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Just the Tip of the Apple

Here is how you know you are actually a country girl -- you're the first one to notice among your friends that in the city, you can't see stars at night. Spending a lot of time out on the family farm and at lake houses definitely made me more aware of how bright the stars can be, and it was certainly a shock to the system to look up into a clear sky and see one star... wait, just kidding, it was a plane. I literally relived that moment in Madagascar when Marty and Alex are looking at the sky, trying to find stars, and when they find one it's actually a helicopter.

So now that I've started out on a somber note, it's time to liven things up a little. Yes, I consider myself to be part country girl (I don't listen to country music), but living in the Big Apple is GREAT. People keep mentioning to me that college will pass by so quickly, but so far it feels like I've lived here for months. It's been almost three weeks. As completely cliche as it is, I have to say that there is no place I'd rather be right now. I've stopped chuckling to myself when I tell people I'm heading home when I mean my dorm because it's no longer a strange concept. Taking a step back and thinking about it in this context is a bit scary, but for the most part, I know I feel like I belong. Now cue the emotional collegiate orchestral music and montage of over-smiley faces...

I have been surprised by one thing, other than the fact that I really haven't been able to find time to blog (this doesn't count either since I really need to go back to doing homework): my Theology class. It's not Bible Studies, thank goodness. Yes, I'm going to a Jesuit university; no, not everyone here is religious. Literally all we do is talk, discussing how each person's life is changed by other people and their beliefs and ways of life. Being in that class reminds me of what my dad told me about his family when he was growing up -- all of the siblings would get into these arguments that would go on and get pretty intense, but at the end of the day, no one was upset, and everyone learned something new. I suppose I can't speak for fifty people, but I can personally say that that's how Theology class is for me.

I will probably be posting about that class a lot, because otherwise all I have to talk about is doing homework and eating way too much Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Oh, and getting Korean food in Koreatown. And wandering around in Manhattan. And passing by Fashion Week (not even interested in fashion?..). And planning on going to Hell's Kitchen Flea Market. Are you jealous yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment