Monday, April 22, 2013

Why I Would Make a Terrible Critic

So I'm not sure whether to apologize for not writing recently or to note that I've been writing a lot more than I have in the past... I hope you're all enjoying these posts regardless. Now, on to self-criticism!

I like to think of myself as an optimist. The fact that I have to consciously think of the glass as half-full does not make me believe that I really am an optimist, however. That is, until AP Literature class one day. We were analyzing poetry by Sylvia Plath, specifically the poem titled "Child." For reference (and because it's short), here it is:

Child

Your clear eye is the one absolutely beautiful thing.
I want to fill it with color and ducks,
The zoo of the new
Whose name you meditate --
April snowdrop, Indian pipe,
Little


Stalk without wrinkle,
Pool in which images
Should be grand and classical


Not this troublous
Wringing of hands, this dark
Ceiling without a star.


 
From left to right: April snowdrops and Indian pipes. In case you were wondering.

While analyzing this in class, I noted that the last stanza could be interpreted to be a mother expecting a child. Get it? An anxious expecting mother wringing her hands, the unborn child with the mother's womb as a starless sky... Truth be told, I realized this really didn't make much sense in the context of the whole poem, but I often think on my feet and make no sense during class, so it's fine. I also realized that it had been mentioned beforehand that Sylvia Plath is one of the most depressing people/poets in history, having committed suicide with her children in the same house at the time. That said, it's not a simple thing to interpret one of her later poems as something innocent like a baby waiting to be born.

Then it hit me -- I must be an optimist! I have officially qualified by my own standards to start referring to myself as an optimist, and I'm probably way too proud of that. Judge me, it's totally fine.

I've always believed that our personalities aren't determined by nature or nurture, but a combination of both, along with a will to become whoever we want to be. Besides those who are medically unable to change their outlook on life, people are generally capable of changing their beliefs, their personalities, and their ambitions, which gives the opportunity to be able to have control over their lives if they want it badly enough. Isn't that such a reassuring thought? Anyway, point is, achievement unlocked: naturally optimistic thoughts. I just gave myself brownie points in celebration. And chocolate almonds.

Looking back at the title of this post, I just remembered my actual point. Back to being optimistic now, I'd like to note that when I started this blog, I had originally intended to do a lot more film and TV show reviews. What I realized, however, is that a lot of good critics of everything are harsh and blunt about what they think. Being an optimistic person, I always look for the good things of a movie. I know several people who would make excellent critics (and I mean this as a compliment) because of their good eye for the not-so-great things that stand out in a movie, TV show, or book. I gloss over that stuff, and because of that, I make a pretty crappy critic. I can't even critique my own work, which is why all you're reading right now is a first draft of my spewed, disorganized thoughts. You're welcome.

Happy Monday everyone!

This guy is more optimistic than I will ever be. Honestly, who loves Mondays this much? That's right: no one.

No comments:

Post a Comment