Monday, January 13, 2014

DO YOU WANT TO BUILD A SNOWMAN

I couldn't hold it back any longer. My obsession for Frozen must be made known. Now.

I honestly had very low expectations for this movie for the longest time. I saw the trailer for it with Olaf losing his nose and Sven eating it (for those of you who have not watched this yet, Olaf is a snowman, and hence he has a nose made of carrot, not flesh), and it just didn't look very appealing. I even dismissed the post I saw on Facebook with Idina Menzel singing a sample of one of the songs since I didn't know that she was actually voice acting a prominent role. The point is, I didn't pay attention to it until I started hearing the hype.

Oh my lord, the hype. It was everywhere. I was basically shamed into watching it because I'm not a free-thinking soul who can live without getting all of the mainstream references. I was calling a group of friends, and one of them kept saying (or singing), "Do you want to build a snowman?" I had no idea what he was referencing until I asked him, and at that point, I just said, alright enough, it's time to watch the damn thing.

So Frozen is about two sisters, Anna (Kristen Bell) and Elsa (Idina Menzel), who rule over Arendelle as estranged orphans. Elsa, the eldest, has the power to create ice (hence the title), and is so traumatized by a childhood accident that she blamed herself for, that she hid away from her sister and everyone else, only to find her power would grow out of her control. After the secret of her powers gets out, she escapes to the North Mountain and becomes a bad-ass bitch so she can create her own ice castle and finally be "free," leaving behind a kingdom in a "real howler in July." Anna goes after her with her new buddy Kristoff the ice deliverer to attempt to bring summer and her sister back to Arendelle.

Spoiler alert from now. Sorry. Guess you'll just have to watch the movie. >:)

May I just say: there was so much troll humor in this movie it killed me. The entire problem with this movie started when Grandpoppy tells Elsa that her powers are to be feared, failing to mention that the only way to control it is to be open about it and love, which doesn't really work out. You almost tricked us with your feigned wisdom, but you're just a troll. Stop with your trolling. Anyway, there wouldn't be a movie without that so I suppose I should be grateful. Also, when the troll priest dude says, "Do you, Anna, take Kristoff to be your trollfully wedded..." That KILLED me. So your favorite line was, "Some people are worth melting for?" Cool beans, but honestly, how can you beat being trollfully wed to someone you just met by actual trolls? My happiness derives from the fact that I often use the expression "trolololol," by the way.

THE MUSIC. There's a reason why the title of this post is in headlines. I have been listening to the soundtrack of this movie nonstop for the past few weeks, which is truly unhealthy, but I just can't stop listening! I had the same reaction of basically everyone else at first: "Wait, Kristen Bell can sing? Kristen Bell can sing really well? What?" It was obsession thereafter.

There were so many Broadway stars in this movie, it's no wonder they're comparing this to The Lion King. Speaking of which, my father likes to tell me I watched The Lion King at least forty times as a kid, so at least my tendency to obsess over musical movies is not a new thing. Fun fact: even Kristen Bell has been on Broadway. She played Becky Thatcher in "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" (there are clips on YouTube) and sang in the revival of "The Crucible" with wait... Liam Neeson? There are just fun facts everywhere. Thank goodness I have IMDb.

Idina. Freaking. Menzel. Ohmotherofbabyjesus. Her voice, in my opinion, has actually gotten stronger than when she was on Broadway, which is ridiculous and probably the result of computers and recording technology, but I was listening to the "Wicked" soundtrack and the Frozen soundtrack back to back, and it just sounds stronger in the most recent one. Menzel packs a powerful punch to all of her performances, but the song "Let It Go" was simply perfection. Sorry, Demi Lovato, you cannot sing the same song as Idina Menzel and expect me to like it more.

Confession: I actually do like Demi Lovato's version (it's an awesome song for working out), but still not as much as the movie version.

Oh gosh, look at the time. I've gone a full half hour without listening to "Let It Go." I thought there was something amiss. And with that, I leave you with the strongest recommendation I have ever given: See. Frozen. Now. Now. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment